There is no worse feeling in the world than being stranded because your car won’t start. It can be nerve racking to discover that the battery in your car is dead. Sadly, only about 30 percent of car batteries make it the 48 months they’re designed to last. A car battery can be costly to replace, especially if it dies well before the manufacturer’s expiration date. There are many factors that play a role in early destruction of a car battery. Here are some helpful tips that may help extend the life expectancy of your vehicle’s battery.
1. Insulate It: Most of the time, there is extra space surrounding the battery in a car. If so, wrapping the battery with an insulation blanket can help immensely. It keeps the battery warm in the winter and cool in the summer. When protected from the harsh elements of weather, a car battery recharges properly and isn’t drained as badly. If there is no extra room around the battery to install an insulation blanket and you’re already purchasing a new battery, consider buying a smaller battery so it can be insulated. Many people have found that a smaller, insulated battery lasts longer than a larger, non-insulated battery.
2. Keep It Clean: Keeping the battery clean and clear of debris helps it work more efficiently. A wet rag can be used to wipe down the sides and top of the battery casing to remove dirt and dust. Many don’t realize it, but dirt and gunk on the case can drain the power slap out of a battery. However, the most common place for corrosion build up is on the terminals of the battery. When corrosion is bad, it prevents the current from passing from the battery in to the battery cables. A screw driver or pliers work great for scraping gunk off of the terminals. Always be sure to tighten the terminal clamps on the battery posts. Keeping all aspects of your car battery clean will aid in extending the life of the battery.
3. Avoid Short Trips: Starting a car is very draining for its battery, especially in areas where the climate tends to be colder. Whenever possible, walk or ride a bike. If these options are not feasible, try to group errands and short trips in to one long trip. Your car battery will thank you as it won’t have to work as hard to keep its charge.
These are only a few ways to extend the life of your car battery. Maintenance is the key and by following these simple tips your battery will be able to live out its full life expectancy with many strong starts! Visit General Power Batteries now and get wholesale prices on your new battery.
With over 60 years of family history in Arizona, General Power Batteries in Tucson, AZ knows batteries!
Dozens of national and international battery manufacturers are scrutinized by General Power, as they are tested for their ability to make the best batteries – in SLI, Deep-Cycle, AGM, and Rugged-Duty specialty applications – for the future.
General Power is a Member of the Power-Partners Program™, which extends better pricing of quality products to each one of its customers in the following divisions:
- Automotive Aftermarket
- Commercial Battery Supply
- Truck Fleets
- Industrial & Mining Operations
- Golf Car
- Electric Vehicle
- Solar Home
- Government Supply
During the past 60 years, over 500 million pounds of batteries have been handled, and over $200 million in sales & economic spending have been made in General Power’s history. Products have been sold in 5 different countries, including 14 western states of the US, with private labeling done by over 20 regional, national & international manufacturers!
Our Products Include:
- AGM Sealed – Rechargeable Batteries
- Alkaline Batteries – Energizer
- Automotive Batteries – Starting
- Commercial & Industrial Batteries – Heavy Duty
- Golf Cart Batteries – Deep Cycle
- Lighting Batteries – Emergency
- Marine & RV Batteries
- Medical Equipment Batteries
- Motorcycle & ATV Batteries
- Solar Batteries
Battery Chargers for:
- Gel Batteries
- Hygenall Decontamination & Cleaning Wipes
- Palm Pilots
- CD Players
- Power Tools
- 12volt Batteries and Alternators
- Glove Caddy
Testers & Analyzers for:
- 6volt Batteries
- 12volt Batteries
- Repair Kits
General Power Batteries in Tucson, AZ knows batteries!
Call General Power, Inc. at (520) 622-6735,
If you have any questions, you can also contact us by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
With over 280 days of sun in Tucson every year, it’s no wonder more and more Tucsonans are turning to alternative methods of power, like solar energy. As we all know, solar power is the conversion of sunlight into electricity. This can be done directly, using photovoltaic arrays, or indirectly using concentrated solar power. Typically most homeowners will have access to photovoltaic arrays, or solar panels, which convert light directly into an electric current.
The demand for solar power has risen recently, with an expected 75% growth by then end of 2012. And because of this increasing focus on finding and using renewable energy sources, it has provided ample opportunity for homeowners to employ a deep cycle battery. A deep cycle battery is designed to discharge a steady amount of current over a long period of time. This comes in handy when using devices that require a long surge.
So how does it work? It’s actually pretty simple. Solar panels are used to capture the sun’s energy and then convert it into electricity. Connecting the panels to a deep cycle battery is an ideal way to store that energy for future electrical use. But like all batteries, the deep cycle battery releases energy in direct current, or DC, form. What does this mean for you? Many of our every day appliances, like laptops, power tools and TVs use AC, or alternating current. So how do we convert DC into AC? With the help of an inverter of course.
These small, inexpensive devices can convert the direct current from the deep cycle battery into an alternating current that can be used by normal household devices. And our DC to AC converters can convert 12volt DC into 120volts of AC. It’s perfect for use in Cars, Planes, Boats, RV’s, etc.
With the average household paying nearly $170 each month in energy costs, having an alternative power source is becoming more alluring and not to mention practical. Deep cycle batteries can definitely be a cost effective alternative to rising energy bills. No matter what the application – No matter what the power demand, we have the correct battery for your needs. Call our experts today for advice on how to get started!